Tap to call
09 273 0044

Latest News

Approved Filler and Approved Handler Test Certificate Training


Q. Why do I have to do an Approved Filler certification when I am already qualified as a refrigeration technician?

A. Under the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017, anybody handling or recovering compressed gases must have had suitable training and hold an Approved Filler Test Certificate. Most refrigerants currently used in New Zealand are classified as compressed gases under the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017. Some refrigerants currently used in New Zealand such as propane and butane are flammable and hazardous substances under the HSNO Act. 

Therefore, nearly all users of refrigerants are required by legislation to hold an Approved Filler Test Certificate.

Q. Who offers the training?

A. Training can be provided by the RLTB (Refrigerant License Trust Board) or any other approved HSNO Training provider, see the WorkSafe New Zealand website for a current list of training providers. RLTB courses are offered nationwide with in-house training available. RLTB courses are designed specifically for the refrigeration and air conditioning industry.

Q. Why do I have to pay a levy on all refrigerants?

A. The levy paid on refrigerants is used to help support the Refrigerant License Trust. Development of course materials is a major expense.

Q. Is the levy compulsory?

A. The levy is the industries initiative to provide industry specific training and certification enabling legal compliance for all practitioners in HVACR industries.  Any practitioner can register for our courses because of industry support. Development of course materials, training trainers, etc has been subsidised by the refrigerant levies.

Q. Is there a time limit to the certification?

A. Yes, the Test Certificates and Licence card expire after five (5) years but can be renewed.

Q. What substances fall under the 2.1.1A category?

A. Click here for a list of refrigerants which fall into the 2.1.1A category.  However please check the Safety Data Sheets of the substances you are using to confirm their classifications.

Q. Are overseas gas handling certifications accepted in place of the Approved Filler Test Certificates?

A. Unfortunately, no.  You must hold an Approved Filler Test Compliance Certificate issued by a WorkSafe New Zealand approved Compliance Certifier within New Zealand.  

Q. Is my NZ Approved Filler certification accepted in other countries?

A. Unfortunately, no.  Please see question above.

Q. I have lost my Licence card and/or Certificate, how do I get a new one?

A. Replacement licence cards and certificates can be prepared but will incur an admin fee: $20 for ID card only, $25 for ID card and Certificate, plus GST.  Contact RLNZ to organise this.

Q. Can I bring a Translator with me to the course?

A. Participants attending our Approved Filler courses must be competent in written and spoken English. Participants need to be able to demonstrate that they can personally read, in English, and understand Safety Data Sheets, information contained on containers or cylinders, equipment operation manuals etc.  If participants cannot demonstrate this adequately they will not be certified as Approved Fillers.  This is in the interests of public safety.  If a translator is necessary the level of English proficiency will be inadequate to meet the requirements of the course.  As a benchmark participants should have English language proficiency up to IELTS 5.5


RLTB is proudly supported by: